Wednesday, June 4, 2008

ON THE PROWL FOR PAINT

You'd think that purchasing an eco-friendly paint would be a breeze, right? Wrong!
I've been researching and researching, trying to find the "best" paint that meets my needs for a small project. Unfortunately, the hunt resulted in some disappointing facts--though I still remain hopeful as more companies begin to offer low odor/non VOC paints.

This is what I found, locally:

--Dunn-Edwards (on Bellflower near Stearns St.)
Carries "Eco-Shield" line, but only in gallons.

-Frazee Paints (on Bellflower near Spring St.)
Sells "Envirokote" line, but doesn't have it in stock.

--Lowe's
No "eco" lines.

--Sherwin-Williams (on Willow St. at California Ave.)
Carries "Harmony" line, but only in gallons.

My problem? I needed only a quart of paint.

My dilemma? Drive to The Road Less Traveled in Santa Ana, spend the time and gas to buy one quart of AFM Safecoat, OR just buy one quart of latex paint at a nearby Lowe's. That's what I decided to do and my project is now finished.

Sometimes going green is not such an easy task and requires weighing the pros and cons of each situation.

The moral of the story? Long Beach needs at least one store that sells a few lines of "green" paints that come in different sizes.

Who will take on the challenge?

No comments: