Sunday, April 27, 2008

"REUSE": LOST IN TRANSLATION

Today, while eating a leisurely lunch, I glanced over at a pile of filled, plastic bags headed for the Goodwill. One of my daughter's projects for Saturday was to clean out her bedroom closet. "Mom, where do you want me to put all the stuff I need to get rid of?" she said with slight annoyance. (The cell phone rings in her pocket. Friends beckon...)
"I've saved some large bags and they're in the kitchen cabinet on the bottom shelf," I said, hoping that she heard the 'plural' in my response. Her closet was bulging.

Two hours later she announced that she was done. Today the give-aways got lugged to the front door, where I glimpsed some humorous words on a large Target bag, which will soon be on its way to the thrift store.

For 23 years I taught English as a Second Language. It never ceases to amaze me how messages get lost in translation.

"10 WAYS TO REUSE YOUR TARGET BAG"

1. Tiny Trashcan Liner (Tiny???)
2. Doggy Duty (That's a busy dog.)
3. Water Balloon (Wouldn't be able to lift it. Too heavy.)
4. Road Trip Rubbish (If someone's eating that much, they're in big trouble.)
5. Soggy Laundry (I thought "soggy" was for lawns.)
6. Ice Pack For Head Lump (That would need to be one BIG head lump!)
7. Toiletry Tote (How many toothbrushes can fit into a 2-foot high trash bag?)
8. Kitty Litter Liner (For a lion, maybe.)
9. Tomorrow's Lunchbag (My husband would be the laughing stock of the office.)
10.Care Package Padding (Surely, one could do better than using a Target bag for care package padding.)

Bag: "Made in China"

Can Target not afford expert copywriters?

Visit LongBeachGreenGuide.com
Email LongBeachGreenGuide.com

No comments: