Monday, January 28, 2008

FISHMONGERS: SELLERS OF HEALTH, OR PURVEYORS OF POISON?

Yesterday, while on my way home from visiting a friend in Rancho Palos Verdes, I decided to take my daughter to Ports O' Call in San Pedro. During my childhood this was a place my parents often took out-of-town visitors so they could see the bustle of the port. Back then (yes, I'm a Baby Boomer), the "village" was hopping and very exciting for young kids like my sister and me--and a thrill for the foreigners who always seemed to be coming through our doors.

Ports O' Call was also a great place to buy smoked fish, a favorite specialty my family always enjoyed. So yesterday I thought it would be nice to share that memory with my daughter.

Upon entering the San Pedro Fish Market, my eyes scanned the numerous choices of fish and shellfish. Crabs floated in murky water and glistening fillets lined the long case, which was topped with hot sauce bottles for those in need of an extra kick. Crab boil seasonings (think Cajun) sat in the backdrop as a Southern lure.

My purpose was to buy a few types of smoked fish, but I couldn't help notice all the other offerings. Tilapia, shrimp from Taiwan, farm-raised salmon with "added coloring," lobster, red snapper and many more. A sinking feeling came over me as I read all the sources of the seafood (meaning countries of origin).

I'm very aware that we are over-fishing our waters, and I know much of the fish we eat is tainted with metals and other chemicals. This makes it difficult for consumers who are trying to follow health guidelines that encourage eating more fish for the omega oils.

We're damned if we do, and we're damned if we don't.

Though I did buy my smoked fish, I realized that my seafood-eating days are going to be limited, and my choices will only include the species that are low in toxins. So much for a fond childhood memory.

To crack this conundrum, read more about the good, the bad and the ugly when it comes to choosing your seafood.
Monterey Aquarium's Seafood Watch page
Vital Choice Wild Seafood & Organics
Environmental Defense Eco-Friendly Seafood Selector

1 comment:

Serena said...

Great article, thanks for sharing your story. The more people can do to make this issue heard the better, that's why I'm inviting all your readers to become Seafood Watch Advocates, simply click on the "Simple Actions You Can Take" link from our website www.seafoodwatch.org

Sincerely,
Serena
Seafood Watch