Friday, November 9, 2007

THE BIG DRAIN

In an effort to make some positive 'green' changes in our own home, my husband and I have decided to do a few things:

1) Get a new roof with two inches of rigid foam insulation. Done.
2) Get solar panels. Installation happening sometime in Dec.
3) Empty the pool to eliminate the costs of a pool pump, pool maintenance AND to reduce water usage (constant evaporation means constant refilling with gallons of precious water each week!).

This brings me to the title of this blog...

Two days ago we drained our pool.

Before my daughter went off to school I told her to say goodbye to it (not easy). Last night she stood in the shallow end looking down to the deep end and said, "I can't believe I used to swim in this!" The truth is, not a one of us used the pool very often and this backyard water-guzzler had become a financial burden and water hog. Though the costs of taking it out are high, we're looking forward to demolition...and later, a beautiful setting designed with native, drought-tolerant plants. We're also going to incorporate the broken concrete into the design, with meandering paths, steps and benches.

1 comment:

Rena said...

photos of the progress would be very interesting